ANAVETS Shoulder to Shoulder

September 2016

Issue link: http://digital.imedianorthside.com/i/748296

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 7 of 33

SHOULDER TO SHOULDER 7 T he 24th Regiment (Grey's Horse) was a regiment of cavalry formed in the Canadian Army on the 2nd April, 1908, as part of the Non Permanent Active Militia. The Regiment was raised in Oxford and Waterloo counties in South-West Ontario. The first commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel W.M. Davis, was ordered to establish his headquarters in Woodstock, Ontario, and two squadrons of a total authorized strength of four squadrons were established. "A" Squadron was located in Woodstock and was under the command of Captain J.M. Ross, who had previously served in the London based Oxford Rifles. This squadron was moved in 1911 to the town of Princeton. "B" Squadron was formed at Ingersoll under the command of Major T.R. Mayberry. The Regiment remained active and trained right up to the outbreak of the First World War, including attendance at annual summer camp, as much as it could given the financial restraints of the times. The Regiment was not placed on active service, but was ordered by the Minister of Militia to start recruiting for the Canadian Expeditionary Force shortly after World War One broke out in August 1914. The first contingent left Ingersoll, Ontario by train on the 20th August. 1914, headed for the new C.E.F. camp at Valcartier, Quebec. Shortly after their arrival at Valcartier, 70 men from The Oxford Rifles of London joined the officers and men of the 24th Grey's Horse. These soldiers, on the 2nd September, 1914, became the nucleus of "A" Company of the 1st (Western Ontario) Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. The 1st (Western Ontario) Battalion, C.E.F., had an authorized strength of 45 Officers and 1121 NCO's and men. This battalion was returned home to Canada and finally disbanded on the 21st April, 1919, after having fought along the Western Front for the whole war. The 24th Regiment (Grey's Horse) gained no battle honours for World War One, and does not perpetuate any of the C.E.F. battalions. After the war, the headquarters of the regiment moved to Wingham, Ontario and was under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Moss, and on the 1st February 1921, the regiment was redesignated as the 9th (Grey's) Horse. In the years between the world wars modest moves towards the modernization of the Canadian Army were undertaken. In 1931 the government of Prime Minister R.B. Bennett decided that one cavalry and six infantry divisions was to be the maximum sized military that could be organized and reinforced in case of another long overseas war. In 1933, a list of inefficient units was requested by the Chief of the General Staff, Major-Gen- eral McNaughton, and although the first response was quite small, eventually a larger list was made available, and that formed the basis of General Order 33 of 1936 (effective 1 February 1936), which disbanded 13 Regiments deemed to be not effective. Among those 13 Regiments was the 9th Grey's Horse. There is however some confusion in the official records as to what actually happened to the 9th Grey's Horse. Some printed material states they were disbanded, yet other material states they converted to artillery and became 100 Field Battery, RCA. Whatever the truth of the matter is, 100 Field Battery, RCA, recruiting from the same towns and villages that had originally recruited for the 9th Grey's Horse, fought in North-West Europe during World War Two, and was eventually disbanded in 1970 as a sub-unit of 21 Field Regiment, RCA. 24 TH REGIMENT GREY'S HORSE by Bill Nangle CD

Articles in this issue

view archives of ANAVETS Shoulder to Shoulder - September 2016